Monday, September 5, 2011

Abrupt Endings; In the Event of a 3 Day Novel Contest Emergency.


We have just under 12 hours as I sit here and write this blog (PDT) and I know a lot of us are feeling the heat. I don’t have time to sugar coat this in my usual weeping humor, so with out further ado:

The Main Character Wakes Up: Everything that happened up until this point was only a dream, and thus so random and inconsequential it does not need a true conclusion.

The word ends: Explodes. combusts, ceases to exist. There are no more characters to tell a story about.

Flashback of doom. As it turns out your whole book was a flashback seconds before your MC is actually killed off. Turns out there wasn’t time for the whole thing.

For the romance: The love interests suddenly discover they are actually related. You are no Cassandra Claire and your book is now entirely pointless—but done.

For the mystery: The MC realizes he is the one who done it. Oh crap.

For the Werewolf Book: The MC is killed by vampires.

For the Vampire Book: The MC is killed by werewolves.

For everything else: And then they all died. The end.

No one isn’t finishing their 3 Day Novel on my watch!

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sure are a cheerleader! That was so funny, I really, really enjoyed reading it...and I'm sure you helped loads and loads of people! Too funny...I hope that the challenge ends happily! Go YOU!

Heather said...

WOW! This contest sounds incredibly challenging and so FUN! I'll have to watch out for it to come up again, I'd love to lose my mind attempting it - and maybe write something cool in the process.

Your witticisms had me crying, I was laughing so hard - thanks for the great post!

Anonymous said...

Excellent suggestions! I only killed 2 people, in an explosion. At first I let them live, but then I did a quick revision before submitting. Yeah, first blood!

It was nice hanging out with you and everyone else on the twitter during all this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey I hope the novel writing went awesome, I awarded you the liebster! You can stop by my blog for more details

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping this emergency ending kit for next year! Thanks for the giggles.

I too kept writing for my blog while cranking out my 3-Day Novel. Masochism is fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping this emergency ending kit for next year! Thanks for the giggles.

I too kept writing for my blog while cranking out my 3-Day Novel. Masochism is fun!

Hildred Billings said...

haha, sounds interesting, definitely. By the way, we're also in the same campaign, but I don't think I've ever introduced myself XD heya~

Karen deBlieck said...

LOL! I love your beautiful blog and have nominated you for the Leibster award. Check out my blog for more details. http://simplyscribblings.blogspot.com/

Lola Sharp said...

I've had my share of 7-10,000 word writing days (or nights)...I've even had several 10k days in a row. But, no way could I write and entire novel in 3 days! Whoa.

Good luck to you! Good word hunting. :)

Hugs,
Lola