Sunday, August 7, 2011

How to Be a Better Writer THIS WEEK

This is the second installment of how to be a better writer. Last week we focused on how to be a better writer TODAY and you can find that here:

How to Be a Better Writer TODAY

Now, on to how to be a better writer this week.

HOWTOBETTERWRITER

Step #1 Sit down.

Step #2: Acquire the tools needed to make your weekly schedule, and then do it. Angela WRITE Now has mad OCD like you would not believe. She is the queen of the scheduled chaos but she does understands that not everyone can live this way so remember the key points.

Write down all your commitments that have to be done at a certain time. Like when you are at work and when you have to not forget to pick up the kids. Figure out when you have time to write (edit, revise, etc.) write those times in your schedule. Best not to get a little carried away with your first time. Looking for the perfect time slot? Try #writingatgunpoint Monday-Thursday on twitter at 6:30 PDT and the most important part; write when you say you will.

Step #3: Pick one day a week (at least) and commit to improving yourself as a writer. I think as artists, we know what we need to improve on even if we don’t want to hear it.Take this time to make yourself better. You can read up on how to write a killer query letter or review comma usage. You can do what you need to do, and no one else need know about it.

Step #4: Agree to help a friend. Preferably with their writing. Offer to read something for them, critique something for them, tweet some helpful links, or… I don’t know, start an online writing conference with an arch rival and then get some KILLER names to sign up to teach classes at it. Any little thing helps.

Step #5: Remember everything you needed to do to make yourself a better writer TODAY.

BIG announcements coming your way soon, but I maybe just let one slip. The rest of them involve all my releases happening at the back half of the year, and how you can be a part of a very important one. Details coming soon!

6 comments :

Karen said...

Love your posts--keep them coming! I just bought a bunch of books about the points of writing. I've committed to study a minimum of a chapter a day. Always improving. :)

Justin Dow said...

I have a problem with loving to actually create schedules, but I'm terrible at sticking to them. However, it's becoming increasingly necessary since I started a new job. Thanks for reminding me that I need to take time out for writing if I want to improve at it.

ali cross said...

I like the tip to spend some time (no, to SCHEDULE time) on writing-improvement. I tend to fall down on the job on this one. (yes, even senseis are always learning)

Love this feature Angela and LOVE THE CLUE!!!

Darin Calhoun said...

Good advice Angela, it is always good to evolve as a writer in this ever changing publishing landscape.

Patricia JL said...

Great advice. I expect nothing less from you. =)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, fellow YA Campaigner,

This is an awesome post. I particularly like the idea of setting aside one day a week to improve yourself as a writer, although in my case it's more a problem of limiting myself to one day a week so I don't spend all my writing time "improving" myself.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in the weeks to come!