Friday, May 20, 2011

Writers are easily distracted, just like YOU. (ME)

I have a backlog of blogs I have set aside to share with you on days I am really needing to unplug; oddly this is not one of them. That’s because the next blog on the pile is titled “The Books I’m Not Good Enough to Write Yet.” and that is sort of epically depressing. I don’t want to share that, I don’t even want to know that, I want to stuff my fingers in my ears and tune it out LALALALALALAA of course then I’d have no fingers to tweet with so it wouldn’t be worth it.

What was I saying again?

Oh yeah, writers are easily distracted. I’d say, on the scale of distract-ability, 1 being always, adult onset ADHA like my husband distracted, and 10 being me. I can write in my notebook with one hand, while the TV is blaring, with one ear bud in playing Fall Out Boy,and dinner in the oven, all while tweeting with my other hand—no sweat. This is Angela Write Now’s natural habitat. Anxiety inducing for most, I find comfort in the familiarly of the stress. I am great under pressure, I am always under pressure, but I always preformed until this week, and I knew it was coming.

In a world where all I had to do was write, and even edit I’d never crash, I’d never burn. In real life, I made the decision to publish my books on my own (and with a few of my bestest friends) and that requires a different kind of work than I am used too, and it’s harder on me than I thought it would be. I haven’t really be all forthcoming about everything that is going on behind the scenes, that’s just me. I like it to appear effortless.

When I changed my careers game plan, I thought at first I’d try it and see how it went. It was a bit of a contest really, but the more I learned, the more I saw, the quicker I realized that wasn’t at all how it worked. So then I came up with a new plan. This plan involved putting out six books, including Pigments of My Imagination in 2011.

NOW BEFORE YOU GET ALL BENT OUT OF SHAPE I should admit that, all  but one of them is written, and all of the ones that have been have had most of their editing/revision done. So breathe. No fainting or obscenities. I work quick, I’ve written over thirty books.

The reason I chose Pigments of My Imagination for my first release was because I had long ago come up with the idea and had no plans of a sequel. Zilch, but as of this last edit I can say the possibility is now there UGH—still unlikely. The other reason I chose it, was because it was a good midway point for my writing. I think I have two modes, me, and Angela Kulig darkside. She’s a bitch but relatively harmless. She just writes books like Skeleton Lake. More on that later.

OK, what even was the original reason behind this blog? Even I don’t know anymore.

Oh yeah. I need to be completely distraction free Friday- all day, and maybe even the rest of the weekend. I am the chick who tweeted her way through the 3 Day Novel Contest and laughed about it afterwards. So not being on Twitter is going to KILL ME.You will still see me, because I will  have some auto things and maybe some things sent from my phone. I will still be checking email and coordinating with my editor Allison Ridley but that is it. Please don’t be offended if I don’t reply to your @’s till Monday.

Speaking of MONDAY that happens to be the day I post chapter 2 of Pigments of My Imagination.

Also Monday is the return of #writingatgunpoint

5 comments :

Karen said...

Now, I'll be offended if you don't return my @replies until Monday!! Totes JK. ;) Write like the wind my friend, write like the wind. <3

Patricia JL said...

Sounds like you have more of a plan than I do. I just write (although now I'm editing what will hopefully be my first book released) but I'm a laidback person like that. I try not to stress or worry about the book's completion, I take it as I go.

Also #writingatgunpoint was fun yesterday.

Imran Siddiq said...

I understand how twitter is a mine-field of distraction. I have gone from 2k a night, to just about 1k... but I also learn a lot from other's blogs and yourself! :)

@flickimp
www.imranwrites.com

Anonymous said...

Haha, I loved the post. Just reading it made me think of myself as I'm trying to write. There are so many things out there that can distract you from writing. I'll have to watch what I do in the future to make sure that the time is spent wisely instead of bouncing around to 800 different things.

S.P. Sipal said...

Love this post! Distraction, or multi-tasking, is just a way of life. If we waited until we had completely free time to write, we wouldn't!