Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Insomnia, the flavor of the week. Is it raining, is it snowing? Is a hurricane a blowing?

Tomorrow starts the most wonderful time of year, 2015 Halloween Reads Season! But I couldn't help but stopping in today, and talking about how seriously screwed up in the head I am. I mean, seriously, there is no other explanation.

 I have really wicked insomnia. I am pretty sure it settled into my bones early, at the ripe old age of nine or ten. Sometimes I just can't sleep. I'll be tired. I might even stagger like I'm drunk, if dare put down the book I'm reading and climb out of bed. Sometimes I'm not tired at all, and I find myself at the end five AM before winding down with no place to go.

But worst, worst of all, is when I wake up,

And wake up,

And wake up.

Last night was no exception. Last night was the worst yet. Sometimes I wake up every hour, or two. Last night I woke up in roughly 47 minute increments--and while that, in itself, wasn't so strange, w hat I was doing when I woke up was.

I was singing, but not just any song. I was waking myself up singing this:



There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing


It was so strange. If you had asked me that day I'd have told you I couldn't recall more than a handful of these words, but there I was, singing them. Clearly, I am not well.

1 comment :

Larry Kollar said...

Haha, Pendulum made that into a really crazy drum&bass track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUCHRU6zo4U