Thursday, June 28, 2012

It's not you. Angela Kulig and Red Iris Books part ways.

Sadly, despite recently acquiring a new contract, I have to annouce that I have parted ways with my former publisher Red Iris Books. It's complicated, and we've both agreed to see other people. I'm not nearly as frustrated as I was even five minutes ago. The only thing I really regret is the timing. One, I am about to have a baby (anytime) and two, they were supposed to be releasing a book by me today and that's not happening. I knew it was delayed, I just didn't find out until this morning it was delayed indefinatly.

It seems that in the future RIB is going to a more adult oriented business model. Since I write almost exclusively middle grade and young adult it doesn't make sense for them to extended time and resources building my series when it's not really their thing. It's a lot of work publishing and marketing a book, I respect that. However, I now feel trapped. I hate the idea of having to make important decisions about my future right now, or in a few days from now when I am completely sleep deprived.

I have a lot of really crazy ideas that seem like fantastical things to do right now though, so I will probably just do that. Since I am <90 days away from being back in complete control of the Skeleton Lake series I guess I will do something big for that then--something insane. The first thing that is probably going to happen in that series is Skeleton Song, and Skeleton Lake will be combined into one book.

But before that... I hope to release Pigments of My Imagination on my own. Or better yet, with my friends. I have a lot of things to figure out, and never enough time. The only thing I know is, I plan to take over the world. As much as I still like the other party involved, I don't take lightly to being bet against and there are things I plan on doing souly so I can feel smug about them later. I think this may have been the best motivation for me to work harder and faster I could have hoped for. I am sure that is exactly how I will feel when I no longer drowning in hormones.

5 comments :

Cherie Reich said...

I wish you the best with what you decide to do with your books. It's never easy to part ways, but I think you made the right decision. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Something similar happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago. So sad and frustrating. I hope everything turns out for the best for you! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the timing, but I suspect great things will come out of this in the long run. Hold your head up high, Angela.

Nicole @ The Daily Dish said...

Angela, I'm so sorry, what terrible timing. But I believe everything happens for a reason and things work a certain way to make room for new and better things. I really do wish you the best, and hope you'll remember to breathe. Good luck in whatever direction you take it.

Kathy Lynn Hall said...

Love the sign! I'm going to make one for my wall.

Also love your title Pigments of My Imagination - excellent!

Sometimes it's hard to remember that there's no such thing as good timing for problems. I'm rooting for you!